Thursday, November 12, 2009

Church on the Web?????




I received some constructive criticism this week about our church website. The criticism suggested that we should not be spending any money on a website for the church. Instead, the money could be spent elsewhere for better purposes.

My first instinct was to disregard the criticism. Then I thought about it. Imagine that, me actually thinking. So I took a trip over to my Facebook page and asked the question “Should churches spend money on websites?” The responses came back overwhelmingly positive. Words like “Yes” and “Absolutely” abounded. I quietly thanked myself that my thoughts about church websites had been vindicated!

Then God got a hold of me again. Imagine that, God prompting me to think. That’s twice now for those of you keeping track. Here is that God thought:

Exactly who would be visiting my Facebook site to answer the question “Should churches spend money on websites?” Well, people who spent a lot of time on computers of course! They are the only ones who look at my Facebook page. in short the people answering the question are all people who would be in favor of church websites People who already use technology as a tool for building the kingdom.

In other words I was preaching to the choir.

I’m still in favor of spending money on our church website. Last week I talked to no less than three people who said that one of the reasons why they attended our church for the first time was because of the information they found about our church on (drumroll please)  the website!

At the same time, I’m reminded that when we are seeking the truth about what people think it’s a good idea to ask everyone and not just those who you already know agree with you. If you’re not sure what I’m saying ask yourself this question.

How many times have I asked someone for advice and or input when I already know where their advice and or input will be?

That’s why I allowed seeking God! His advice is exciting, frustrating, mystifying, mind-numbing, life transforming, stretch the living daylights out of me-ing and so much more.  Rarely do I know exactly what I’m going to get from God until I honestly and openly ask him, seek him, listen to him and then do what he says.

1Corinthians 2:6-8
6We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. 7No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. 8None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

 Anyways, that’s what I think. What you think?

3 comments:

  1. Hola Pastor Ed, When Romelyn and I where thinking of changing churches (We live in Ele ele, and were attending church in Kapaa, and don't have ministry for Eli) She went on line and found your web-site, and seen all the church has to offer and so we decided to try your church. We are very pleased and would like to talk to you about becoming members of KMC. If it wasn't for your well informing web-site we never would have tried you guys out. So Great job on the site! :)

    Ronnie, Romelyn & Elijah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our local church website has lost it's webmaster and it does make a difference. I'd like to keep in touch with your ministry from afar...California... and this makes it easy for me. Your church supporters are not all sitting in your pews, some of us are at home wearing our bunny slippers and being online.
    Kay Mickel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys... Bunny slippers and all :-)

    ReplyDelete